Reliance Retail Ventures valuation hits $100 billion after KKR investment

| Leave a Comment | Stocks

Shares of Reliance Industries opened higher on September 12, a day after global investment firm KKR announced to have hiked its stake in Reliance Retail Ventures (RRVL).

The KKR deal makes RRVL one of the top four Indian companies in terms of equity value in the country.

KKR invested Rs 2,069.50 crore in RRVL at a pre-money equity value of Rs 8.361 lakh crore. This is essentially the same funding round as the one led by Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) in August 2023, which valued RRVL at Rs 8.27 lakh crore.

The current investment by KKR, combined with its investment made in 2020, will take its total equity stake in RRVL to 1.42 percent on a fully-diluted basis.

The previous fund-raise round by RRVL in 2020 from various global investors was done at a pre-money equity value of Rs 4.21 lakh crore.

The fresh investments come a month after the conglomerate announced that the shares held by minority investors in Reliance Retail Ltd would be cancelled and extinguished.

RRVL holds 99.91 percent of Reliance Retail with the remaining 0.09 percent being held by non-promoter shareholders.

The Ambani family is betting on the retail business to be the group’s most rapidly expanding business. This will be fuelled by Indians getting more affluent, the company opening more stores and making shopping easier on mobile and digital devices.

As of FY23, the retail business contributed 12 percent to the group’s EBITDA, up from 7 percent in FY19. The retail business expanded its network with over 3,300 new stores during the financial year 2023, taking the store tally to 18,040 stores pan-India. This marks a growth of about 22 percent YoY.

The investment by KKR and QIA is a vote of confidence in the growth prospects of Reliance Retail. The company is well-positioned to capitalize on the growing demand for retail in India.


Related News

  • 22 Sep

    NBCC shares trade higher on Rs 100 crore work order from SAIL

    NBCC shares were trading 3 percent higher on September 22 after the company announced having bagged a work order worth Rs 100 crore from SAIL. This is the fourth order-win announced by the company in this month, the total value of the same being Rs 450 crore. NBCC is a public sector undertaking engaged in the business of construction and real estate development. The company specializes in providing project management, consultancy and engineering services for civil construction, infrastructure development, and real estate projects.

  • 22 Sep

    Glenmark Pharma stock falls on stake sale in Glenmark Life Sciences

    Glenmark Pharma stock fell after the company announced it would sell a 75% stake in its subsidiary Glenmark Life Sciences to Nirma. Analysts expect the stake sale to benefit Glenmark Pharma, as it will transition from a net debt position to a cash surplus position. This is expected to have a positive impact on the company's return ratios over the next two to three years.

  • 22 Sep

    Berger Paints Shares Hit 52-Week High After Turning Ex-Bonus

    Berger Paints shares surged 6% to hit a 52-week high after turning ex-bonus on the record date for the issue of bonus shares in the ratio 1:5. The company posted a net profit of Rs 326.3 crore in the April-June quarter of FY24, up 39% year-on-year, on revenue of Rs 2,739.7 crore, up 10% year-on-year. The company expects to get net cash positive by the end of this fiscal year and expects to end the year with double-digit revenue growth on strong demand outlook.

  • 22 Sep

    Market Update for September 22, 2023

    IdeaForge Tech up 3.4% on order RVNL up 3% on highway MoU JSW Steel up 0.4% on sale ICICI Lombard down 1.6% on CEO exit ICICI Bank down 1% on healthcare investment NHPC up 1.3% on extended additional charge Kalyani Forge up 3.2% on new MD IRB Infra up 2.5% on road project closure

  • 22 Sep

    Lux Industries Shares Down 3% After Income Tax Raid

    Lux Industries shares fell 3% on September 22 after news emerged that the Income Tax department had conducted searches at the company's premises in Kolkata and alleged a tax evasion of Rs 200 crore. The company has confirmed the searches and is extending full support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *